In the first game at the League of Augsburg Dumfries October 2017 weekender, a motley group of Pirates, Natives and Huguenots attacked and destroyed the rum production facility on the Honey River.
But this was a feint and the main attack took place a few months later.
Except it really wasn't really an attack more of a Tarantino-esque saga of double dealing, betrayal and mild violence that if filmed would no doubt be entitled "Kill Kirke".
|The initial set up, Mr Barry Hilton organiser extraordinaire in the background|
- An expeditionary force of noble Huguenots exiled from their homeland and searching for a new home and a peaceful life(I typed that with a straight font),
- perfidious English supporters of the pretender James (the Huguenot allies);
- pirates with their own agenda which had something to do with picks and shovels;
- natives who were tired of the Bourbon yoke and dreamed of nothing more than their own rum soaked republic in the sun.
|Natives defend a mill|
- The colonial forces of the treacherous Bourbon king Louis led by a former Huguenot.
- Mysterious British force whose commander had revenge in mind.
- The Huguenots not trusting Kirk's English forces posted Huguenot officers with their trusted English allies;
- Various accidents then occurred with both English and Huguenot officers falling down cliffs, bathing with crocodiles etc.
- The French and Huguenot's came to an arrangement not to attack each other;
|A lot of marching... not a lot of shooting|
- After taking a fort from the French the natives joined this entente cordiale;
- Unfortunately, the natives had lost all the forces attacking the fort which the Huguenots then sauntered into and refused to give back;
|One fort, fully supplied with excellent views of the sea|
- The natives took exception to this and started sniping at the Huguenots;
- Percy Kirke appeared on the field and this galvanised all the other players;
|That's a familiar standard|
- Despite the best efforts of at least three of the players (my Huguenots were strangely ambivalent) Kirke escapes to betray another day;
|Kirke's last stand?|
- The other protagonists decide to set up a joint venture with their target Jamaica... but that's another story.
Will the new Caribbean Republic flourish?
Will the Huguenots actually discharge their muskets or will the new hobby of Peace-gaming catch on?
To be continued (if the organisers choose to do so) at the next League of Augsburg weekend.